SMS for B2B: How sales reps can close more orders with text messaging
In today’s sales world, building strong connections and finding new and creative ways to communicate with potential customers is key. While it may not be the first thing that comes to mind, using SMS (short message service) as a B2B (business-to-business) communication channel can actually be highly effective.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of using SMS marketing in the sales process and share some best practices that will help you maximize your success. So grab your phone and let’s dive in.
What is SMS marketing?
SMS marketing, also known as text message marketing, is a powerful communication strategy that utilizes texts to send targeted promotional messages, updates, and notifications directly to customers’ and prospects’ mobile devices. This global marketing channel offers an immediate and personal connection with your target audience, as it reaches them where they spend a significant amount of time – their smartphones.
How marketers can use SMS to fill the funnel for sales representatives
Before sales representatives can close deals, they need a steady stream of leads to work with. Marketers can use SMS to generate more leads by capturing the attention of potential customers. SMS marketing enables marketers to create a sense of urgency, encouraging prospects to take the desired action and re-engage inactive leads. Here are some effective ways to capture new leads through SMS:
- Promote valuable web content: Use SMS campaigns to share webinars, whitepapers, and other valuable resources with targeted prospects.
- Share limited-time offers: Announce exclusive discounts and promotions through SMS to encourage prospects to act swiftly. Offering time-sensitive deals adds a sense of urgency and can be a powerful motivator for prospects to engage with your brand.
- Send personalized follow-ups: Connect with prospects who have previously shown interest in your products or services by sending tailored follow-up messages. This demonstrates your attention to their specific needs and can strengthen their interest in your offerings.
How B2B sales representatives can use SMS
Once leads are generated sales representatives can leverage SMS marketing to nurture relationships, engage with prospects, and ultimately close deals. Unlike emails or phone calls that may go unnoticed or unanswered, most people open and read their text messages within minutes.
Furthermore, SMS enables real-time conversations in a concise format. Sales representatives can quickly communicate key information about products or services without overwhelming potential prospects with lengthy emails or presentations.
Additionally, texts allow you to personalize and customize your messages. You can tailor your messages based on the specific needs and preferences of each prospect, creating a more personalized experience that resonates better with potential buyers.
Moreover, SMS provides an unobtrusive way for you to follow up on leads without being too pushy. With SMS you can send a well-timed message that can serve as a gentle reminder while keeping the lines of communication open between the sales rep and prospect.
SMS offers measurable results and tracking capabilities through delivery receipts and response rates. This data allows sales teams to analyze their efforts effectively, fine-tune their strategies if needed, increase conversion rates, and have happy long-term customers.
Advantages of SMS messaging in B2B sales
SMS messaging can help you break through the digital noise, capture your buyers’ attention, and close more deals, all while providing a preferred alternative to cold calling and emails.
Some key advantages of SMS messaging are:
- Fast communication: SMS significantly speeds up B2B sales, and with Dotdigital’s one-click email-to SMS conversion, sending messages becomes effortless.
- Personal connection: Utilize customer data to personalize SMS marketing messages like you would in an email campaign. Built-in link tracking and shortening enable you to monitor engagement and conversion-driving links.
- Excellent open rates: SMS messages boost campaign open and click-through rates, ensuring your B2B sales content reaches key decision-makers.
- Increased engagement: SMS marketing simplifies engagement with prospects by providing a more direct communication method, promoting responsiveness, and raising the odds of closing deals.
- Smooth integration: SMS marketing expands your reach across channels and connects with your worldwide customer base in over 220 countries, delivering messages straight to their preferred devices.
- Performance tracking: Real-time reporting and analytics allow you to evaluate SMS campaign performance and make informed decisions based on data.
SMS for B2B: best practices
To harness the power of SMS for B2B sales, you need to be savvy with your approach. Here are a few strategies to help you get started:
1. Always obtain consent first
Before sending any SMS messages, make sure you have permission from your audience. Not only is this legally required, but it also helps avoid any negative impact on your business. Include opt-in forms on your website, making it easy for visitors to subscribe to your SMS communications.
2. Include a clear CTA
While it’s important to offer something of value to your audience, you also need to provide a clear call to action (CTA). Make sure your CTA outlines the next steps the recipient needs to take to benefit from your offer.
3. Keep messages concise
With limited character counts in SMS messages, keep your texts brief yet engaging. Remember to use Unicode elements, such as emojis, which can reduce your message length to 70 characters. Shorter messages can actually be more effective and easier to read.
4. Time your messages strategically
Just like your email campaigns, timing can make or break the impact of your SMS communications. Keep your prospects’ workdays in mind, aiming to engage during their most productive periods, such as mid-morning or right after lunch. Be aware of times when they’re less likely to read your messages, like early Monday morning or late Friday afternoon. And of course, remember not to spam your subscribers—give them some breathing space between messages for better effectiveness.
5. Test, test, test
Just like with email or social media, testing your messages is key to understanding what works best. Split-test different messages with different audiences and personas to see what resonates most.
Overall, SMS marketing is a powerful tool for B2B sales that can help you cut through the noise and stand out in a crowded digital landscape. By incorporating this method into your B2B strategy and following best practices, you can elevate your sales processes, drive growth, and stay ahead of the competition.